Eczema & Dry Skin
Eczema & Dry Skin
Eczema is a chronic inflammatory condition that affects up to 20 percent of all babies, particularly those with a family history of skin irritations, asthma, or allergies. It is usually experienced as periods of flare-ups followed by periods of no or few symptoms. In some cases, certain foods (such as cow's milk, eggs, wheat or oranges) may provoke a flare-up.
In babies, eczema often appears as patches of red, dry and itchy skin on the face or behind the ears, and in the creases of the neck, knees and elbows but may spread to other areas. You should definitely talk to your baby’s GP about treatment if the condition is severe, but here are some tips for dealing with eczema, as well as extremely dry or sensitive skin:
- Avoid the things you think may cause itching, such as dust, grass, weeds, wool clothing and certain soaps, detergents, fabric softeners and perfumes. It may help to keep a diary to determine the cause.
- Give your baby short baths - no more than 5-10 minutes - in water that is warm, not hot. You may want to add a specially formulated oil to the bathwater.
- Use mild skin cleansers or shampoos specially made for babies with sensitive skin. Be extra careful on areas often exposed to the environment.
- Dry the skin after a bath by patting with a soft towel, and then immediately apply moisturiser. Do not rub the skin.
- Moisturise frequently throughout the day, especially after bathing.
- Use an emollient cream, smoothing it into the skin in a downward motion.
Although eczema can be an irritating condition, especially during periods of flare-ups, by following these tips, you can help to make your baby more comfortable.
For more information, please visit babycentre.co.uk
Learn how to take the best care of your baby's delicate skin.
Your baby’s skin is so delicate and different to adult skin, it needs extra special care. This section provides tips and advice to help you keep it babysoft and healthy.
Independently proven safe for newborn skin
When it comes to cleansing your newborn, be it at bathtime or nappy change, there are lots of conflicting opinions. Now, thanks to 500 mums and their babies who took part in the biggest ever independent clinical trial on newborn skin, you can feel confident in making a choice that's right for you and your little one.
JOHNSON’S® Baby Expertise
Learn about the rigorous testing, expertise and care which goes into each and every JOHNSON’S® Baby product
Baby Skincare Range
See our proven mild & gentle skincare range, developed especially for baby’s delicate skin