NO MORE TEARS® - Kind to eyes
More than 50 years ago, we developed a new set of safety standards to mark the quality and gentleness of our JOHNSON'S® Baby mild-cleansing soap-free Shampoo.
Mums both then and now could trust this wouldn't sting their baby's eyes. Ever since, JOHNSON'S® NO MORE TEARS® has meant cleansing products that are pure, mild and gentle to use for your babies delicate eyes and skin. This has allowed generations of mums, dads and babies to relax and bond, whilst delighting in more bathtime fun.
Ours are the only baby care products that carry the valuable NO MORE TEARS® mark, so we'd like to share with you some of the science, research and testing that goes into making them. Along the way, we hope you'll learn something new about us and a little something else about a certain special someone.
The 4 Stages of NO MORE TEARS® Testing
1. Ingredient & formulation review. Every single one of our ingredients and the combined formulation are all rigorously evaluated for safety
2. Pre-clinical safety evaluation. Our safety groups comprehensively examine these products in the laboratory to ensure safety
3. Clinical testing. Human ocular studies are performed by a board-certified opthalmologist
4. Medical review. We conduct a thorough review of all data to ensure eye safety
One of the strictest Johnson & Johnson guidelines
At Johnson & Johnson we set ourselves the strictest guidelines.
We do this because we have helped care for hundreds of millions of babies and understand that choosing the right product for your baby's delicate skin is very important to you.
All our NO MORE TEARS® products are tested thoroughly and have to pass four stages before we allow them to be used on your little one.
If they pass all of these sequential stages, only then will the product be granted a NO MORE TEARS® stamp of approval.
No other baby care brand carries the NO MORE TEARS® mark.
Deep understanding of babies’ eyes
At Johnson & Johnson, we're very conscious of the potential problems caused if harsh, soapy products get in your baby's eyes.
Nothing should come between you and your baby enjoying bath-time, that's why we make it our responsibility to know as much as possible about your baby's precious eyes.
The more we have learnt after generations of baby care, the better our products; which means less worry and more fun for the two of you.
Some of the things we know
- Babies don't blink very much. Whilst adults blink every 3-5 seconds, in their first year it is not unusual for babies to keep their eyes open for one whole minute
- Babies' tear reflex is delayed until 6 weeks or more of life and continues to develop up to 5-7 months of life
- Eyes are the last of the senses to fully develop after birth
Leaders in our field
We have tested competitive baby cleansing products using the same criteria as all of the JOHNSON'S® NO MORE TEARS® products. Most of these competitors claimed their products were: “Mild to the Eyes”, “Do Not Irritate the Eyes” and in certain cases “Suitable for Newborns”.
Most of these leading competitive products did not meet our NO MORE TEARS® criteria, therefore they didn't comply with JOHNSON'S® eye mildness standard.
It just goes to show that NO MORE TEARS® is much more than just words on a bottle.
Science is a work-in-progress, no one can know it all. With each day comes the opportunity to learn something new and our scientists are always on the lookout for ways to improve and develop the safety of our products. If there's something new to learn, our scientists will find it and you and your baby will be the first to benefit.
Learn about the rigorous testing, expertise and care which goes into each and every JOHNSON’S® baby product. JOHNSON'S® pioneering safety and science in baby care for over 125 years, now and forever.