Proven Bedtime Routine For Better Sleep
Tried and tested by real mums and their babies.
JOHNSON'S® has been pursuing the highest standards of baby skincare for over 125 years. So naturally we wanted to test the effects of our 3-step night-time routine of bath, massage and quiet time before launching it to mums.
Researchers at Johnson & Johnson partnered with leading paediatric sleep expert Dr Jodi A Mindell PhD, to design a 3-week trial to study the effects of the 3-step routine on babies' sleep.
About the trial:
58 mums and their babies took part in the initial trial.
In the first week, mums were asked to record their baby's sleeping behaviour - how long it took for their child to go to sleep, how long they slept for and how often they awoke during the night.
In the second week, the 3-step routine of Bath, Massage and Quiet Time was introduced, using JOHNSON'S® Baby Bedtime Bath and Lotion with NaturalCalm™ aroma. This continued into the third week, with mums asked to note any improvements to their babies' sleeping - and their own mood.
After the first 7 days of the 3-step routine, mums noted a marked improvement in the time it took for their babies to fall asleep, how long they slept and how often they woke up during the night.
These results continued to improve in the third week of the initial trial.
- Babies fell asleep more quickly
- On average, babies fell asleep 37% faster when using the 3-step routine
- Babies slept for longer
- On average, babies slept longer when using the 3-step routine
- Babies woke less frequently and for shorter periods
- There were over one third (38%) fewer night-time awakenings, and the amount of time babies spent awake was almost halved (49%)
- Mums felt less fatigued and more energetic
- Mums also experienced a greater feeling of control and toddler bedtimes in particular were reported as 'easier' on a scale of 1-5.
Extended clinical study on 405 mothers and their infant or toddler published in:
Mindell, J, Telofski L, Wiegland B et al. A Nightly Bedtime Routine: Impact on Sleep in Young Children and Maternal Mood. 2009, Sleep. 32(5):599-606
Want More Information?
Our first priority is helping you do what’s best for your baby. If you have a question you don’t see answered here, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Pioneering Safety and Science in Baby Care
Learn about the rigorous testing, expertise and care which goes into each and every JOHNSON’S® baby product. JOHNSON'S® pioneering safety and science in baby care for over 125 years, now and forever.