More about the trial
58 mums and their babies took part in the initial trial.
In the first week, mums were asked to record their baby's sleeping behaviour - how long it took for their child to go to sleep, how long they slept for and how often they awoke during the night.
In the second week, the 3-step routine of Bath, Massage and Quiet Time was introduced, using JOHNSON'S® Baby Bedtime Bath and Lotion with NaturalCalm– aromas. This continued into the third week, with mums asked to note any improvements to their babies' sleeping - and their own mood.
After the first 7 days of the 3-step routine, mums noted a marked improvement in the time it took for their babies to fall asleep, how long they slept and how often they woke up during the night.
These results continued to improve in the third week of the initial trial.
The results in more detail
- Babies fell asleep more quickly
- On average, babies fell asleep 37% faster when using the 3-step routine
- Babies slept for longer
- On average, babies slept longer when using the 3-step routine
- Babies woke less frequently and for shorter periods
- There were over one third (38%) fewer night-time awakenings, and the amount of time babies spent awake was almost halved (49%)
- Mums felt less fatigued and more energetic
- Mums also experienced a greater feeling of control and toddler bedtimes in particular were reported as 'easier' on a scale of 1-5.
Extended clinical study on 405 mothers and their infant or toddler published in:
Mindell, J, Telofski L, Wiegland B et al. A Nightly Bedtime Routine: Impact on Sleep in Young Children and Maternal Mood. 2009, SLEEP, 32(5):599-606